Friday, January 4, 2013

Mount Rainier: An Overview

After graduating from college in April, 2010, I was required to complete an internship to finish my degree. I applied for several positions with the SCA (Student Conservation Association), and got offered a position at Mount Rainier National Park in Washington state.
I wasn't sure what to expect! I had heard of the beauty of the pacific northwest, but this was going to be my first post-college, away from home experience. Either way, I thought it would be an adventure. That's exactly what it turned out to be.

Looking back, the summer of 2010 is one of the most memorable times in my life, and a real "turning point" for me. The beauty of the northwest made me look at life with a different perspective, and it left no doubt about my love for the outdoors. I also met some lifelong friends while living in the Longmire area of Mount Rainier. There is nothing quite like the culture of living inside of a National Park, and getting to know others who have the same interests.

Me with my roommates; Charlie, Justin, and Shenon (I'm second from the right):
When I wasn't working, the summer consisted of playing ultimate frisbee, going to parties, and hitting the local bar in the tiny town of Ashford, just outside the Park. Let's see, what am I forgetting? Oh yeah, I might have done some hiking while I was there, too!

My following posts will be all about my most memorable adventures during my summer at Mount Rainier.

No comments:

Post a Comment