Monday, February 10, 2014

Kanab Utah Introduction

Kanab, Utah is located in the extreme southern part of the state, only a few miles from the Arizona border, and about 1.5 hours (driving time) east of St. George. From December, 2010 until April, 2013, I called Kanab home (with the exception being the summer of 2011 when I was in Alaska.)

Kanab is about as much of an "epicenter" as it gets for outdoor recreation. Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Dixie National Forest, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Kaibab National Forest, and the north rim of Grand Canyon are all within a hop, skip, and a jump of Kanab. Some of these areas offer year-round and (mostly) snow-free recreation, which only adds to Kanab's appeal.

I was lucky enough to explore many of the areas listed above during my time in Kanab. Some of these were well-known and frequently visited, but others were remote and isolated (requiring high-clearance 4-wheel drive vehicles to access.) It's always best to err on the side of caution when headed out into remote areas, but the well-prepared shouldn't be dissuaded from exploring some of the most spectacular and unique places in the world. I always find "harder to reach" places that much more rewarding when I get there.

Many of these areas that I'll describe you can find on the free map of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, which you can pick up at an area visitor center or download HERE.

I hope you enjoy my adventures from the Kanab area!

No comments:

Post a Comment